Here are 5 simple tips that will help improve your podcast.
1) Get to the point! Attention spans are shorter than ever. Hook listeners right away, don’t allow your podcast to start with 2 minutes of “Hello, how are you doing today?” or other unimportant chit chat. Unnecessary chatter is one of the top reasons people turn off podcasts.
2) Further to the previous tip, start your podcast with a teaser! Either voice your own 30-second clip telling listeners what’s coming up this show, or clip a piece from the actual podcast and use that as the teaser. This will help keep listeners tuned in as they’ll know something they want to hear is coming up.
3) Ensure your recording quality is the best it can be. You don’t have to spend a fortune to get decent sounding recordings these days. Better audio quality encourages listeners to stick around longer and gives your podcast that professional edge. Recordings that are difficult to hear or contain lots of noise are a sure sign that you have an amateur podcast.
4) Have a professional voice talent on your intro / outro. This doesn’t have to be expensive and is a simple way to raise the profile of your podcast and give a great impression. Websites like Fiverr.com are a great place to hire affordable voice talents.
5) Keep a consistent schedule! Choose when you’ll release episodes and stick to it. Releasing 4 episodes one week and then going silent for a month is a sure way to decrease your audience potential. Fans of your podcast will look forward to new episodes, don’t let them down!